1. The Education and Event Center at the San Antonio Botanical Garden made its debut in Spring 2020 and is the gateway to a 38-acre urban oasis of nature just minutes from downtown. This 3,500 square foot state-of-the-art indoor venue is surrounded by three sides of floor-to-ceiling windows. Views include the lush Grand Lawn, wisteria arbor, oak trees, and the Santikos Fern Fountain.
2. The team behind Morgan’s Wonderland, the world’s first ultra-accessible theme park, is building a 102-acre recreational oasis in northern San Antonio that will offer year-round summer-camp-type experiences to those with and without special needs. The $28 million project will feature an ultra-accessible, multi-platform zipline, a stable and horses, hiking trails, a nature farm, multiple pools, a splash pad, archery range, enclosed sports pavilion, arts and crafts center, a challenge course for all abilities.
3. Devils River Whiskey Distillery’s new home in San Antonio’s historic Burns Building will host a working craft distillery with premium tastings and tours, access to live music on the building’s rooftop and a 1920s prohibition-era bar offering craft cocktails. The new distillery will recycle non-potable water for its production process and plans to donate spent grains to area farmers as protein for cattle.
4. Cave Without a Name in Boerne offers a special venue like none other. The living cavern includes six major rooms filled with stalactites, stalagmites, delicate soda straws, cave drapery, magnificent flowstones and rimstone dams. The Queen’s Throne Room is where you’ll find monthly Concerts in the Cave that take place throughout the year.
5. Located in the lively downtown Marina District, Omni Corpus Christi Hotel offers newly renovated rooms with spectacular views of the Corpus Christi bay. Situated along 131 miles of Texas coast, there are virtually limitless choices for water sports, including year-round sailing, swimming, snorkeling and some of the world’s best deep-sea fishing. Plus, it’s host to the upcoming 2021 TSAE New Ideas Conference. See you there!
6. The Yardarm is a Corpus Christi treasure located on the right on the bay, in an intimate yellow cottage where some of the area’s best-kept gourmet secrets are lavished upon lucky diners who wander in (or are in the know). Enjoy entrees featuring fresh and local seafood gussied up with a French twist like Shrimp DeJonghe, Shrimp Newburg, and their signature Market Fish Pappilote.
7. The Coastal Bend of Texas is a haven for thousands of surfers each and every year, with Corpus Christi’s beaches hosting prime surfing waves. The Texas Surf Museum, the only surf museum in the state, sits nearby so fans can explore the sport’s unique history and culture within the Lone Star State. Better yet, the museum is free.
8. There’s never been a more exciting time in space exploration. Thanks to the SpaceX Boca Chica launch site, just across the bay from South Padre Island, you can combine your love for all things space with some well-deserved beach time. The SpaceX South Texas launch site is where some of the most advanced rockets are being tested for everything from near orbital satellite deployments to the Mars mission.
9. Just a quick trip from the busy city life, you can set your own pace at Lake Casa Blanca International State Park, located in Laredo just minutes from the Mexican border. Recharge mentally and physically by enjoying a day fishing or paddling the lake, or by mountain-biking or hiking the trails. Whatever you decide to do, you’ll discover wildlife on the land, in the lake and flying above you in the sky.
10. After a day outdoors, enjoy one of Laredo’s two signature cocktails: the Sol de Laredo and Border Breeze. The two cocktails represent Laredo’s culture, location and flavor. Sol de Laredo features tequila reposado and citric tones served on the rocks and garnished with a chile de arbol. Border Breeze is a modern day take on a paloma that features tequila silver, fresh lime juice, cucumber syrup and is topped off with club soda. Both can be found at featured bars and restaurants throughout the city.
Sources: Visit San Antonio, Boerne Convention and Visitors Bureau, Visit Corpus Christi, South Padre Island Convention Centre & CVB, Visit Laredo
Photo credit: iStock.com/Sean Pavone